NOTE: SIT will make every effort to maintain its programs as described. To respond to emergent situations, like COVID-19, SIT may have to modify programs. Visit the SIT website for more details.
Gain professional skills and cross-cultural experience by interning with a community organization, NGO, or business focused on sustainable development and gender in Vietnam.
WHY INTERN IN VIETNAM?
This virtual internship and seminar will focus on the role local community-based and international development organizations play in addressing issues related to urbanization, migration, housing, and environment, with a critical analysis on gender, amid fast-paced development in Vietnam.
You have the opportunity to intern with an organization based in one of three major Vietnamese cities: Ho Chi Minh City, Danang, or the capital, Ha Noi. Through this program, you will develop a well-rounded understanding of development inequalities, the challenges of sustainability, and global and local women’s issues.
Before you begin your internship, you will receive an introduction to the cultural, social, and political context of Vietnam, as well as workplace norms and the ethics of interning in Vietnam.
You will be expected to devote approximately 37.5 hours a week both on synchronous and asynchronous course activities. Synchronous activities may include orientation sessions, seminar country and theme specific lectures, initial meetings with your internship advisor, group reflection sessions, and project presentations. Frequency, duration, and scheduling of synchronous activities will be determined the first week of the course in conversation with participants to find mutually convenient times. In the event that a student cannot attend a live session, every effort will be made to provide a recording, transcript, or summary for off-line viewing.
Asynchronous activities may include seat time at your internship, break-out groups, check-ins with your academic director, internship coordinator and your internship mentor, writing progress reports, discussion boards, completing assignments and a final paper, and using audio or video to record reflections on the internship experience. Students are required to demonstrate a strong online presence by participating in group discussions, answering questions, and interacting with course participants and staff.
- Complete an internship with a local community organization, NGO, or business.
- Develop your professional, intercultural communication skills.
- Participate in weekly group reflection and assessments with your academic director.
- Customize the program by focusing on the field which interests you the most.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website
for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
- Orientation to Vietnam, workplace norms, and internship ethics
- Internship with a community organization, NGO, or business focused on sustainable development and gender
- Weekly seminar discussions with your cohort and academic director and meetings with your internship supervisor
- A final paper and presentation describing, analyzing, and synthesizing your internship experience
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
SIT PROGRAM PROTECTION
In these uncertain times, you shouldn’t have to worry about your investment in SIT. Click here
to find out how you’re protected.
CONTACT SIT STUDY ABROAD